We all know that going green is great for the planet, but not many people realize the full potential in savings it provides to their own personal economies! Check out the following ways you can save or even make money while helping the environment at the same time.
1. Grow your own food. Not only will this practice save you a ton of money on groceries and the gas to get them, it is one of the healthiest habits you can pick up for your body. No longer will you have to worry about what was used to preserve or genetically enhance your tomatoes: you grew them yourself! Try starting out with the easiest to grow foods that your family eats the most of.
2. Do away with archaic light bulbs. The latest in light bulbs saves energy and significantly reduces your electric bill. They also last much longer so you don’t have to buy and replace them as often. Compact fluorescent light bulbs are the new standard and you should not settle for anything less.
3. Donate or throw a yard sale. Things you no longer use can be sold for cash or donated for a decent tax-deduction. The old expression “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure” probably applies to nearly everything in your closet that hasn’t been cleaned out in two years or all those things piled up in your garage. Have fun, make it a neighborhood effort by combining goods and alternating who monitors the yard sale and get money for things other people need that you were just going to throw out anyway. If you’re too busy or simply otherwise not inclined toward hosting the sale, pack the trunk and head to a thrift store but don’t forget to get a receipt for your goods.
4. Recycle for cash. Many items above and beyond cans and bottles can be collected and sold to recycling centers. Copper is one example; there is a high industrial demand for it and you can obtain it from a lot of disposed of items. Do a little research in your area and see what will fetch a good price for you without a lot of effort of travel-time.
5. Go natural with the laundry. Putting up a line for your clothes to dry instead of using the dryer will save you considerably, and help the environment, but you don’t have to stop there! Why not make your own soaps and detergents that clean just as well as commercial products, but without all the toxic ingredients? Check on line for cheap and easy recipes and create your own customized au-natural laundry products. Ditching the dryer and high-priced detergents will save you a small fortune!
There you have some great ideas to get you started on saving the planet and your hard earned money. With all the scare-talk from the scientific community about ice-caps melting and temperatures rising, and the state of the economy, there is much more to be gained by going green than most of us realize.